The best rain poncho for backpacking protects you and your camping gear from the rain, is easy to carry, and is lightweight enough to not add additional burden during your hike.
You might have waterproofed your things along with a waterproof backpack but using a poncho has a lot of advantages as you walk with a heavy downpour compared to not having one at all.
For instance, some ponchos can protect you from the cold and the added heat, especially in high-altitude mountains, brings incredible comfort.
You might also think that rain jackets can protect you just like a poncho. Waterproof rain jackets can protect you but only up to a point. Unlike a rain jacket that usually can cover only your upper body, ponchos have a lot more coverage and can protect you until mid-thigh.
If you’re worried about the additional weight or the extra space that you have to spare for a rain poncho, there are impressive ones on the market that are lightweight and compact that can suit your preference.
We have compiled a list of all the best ponchos available for you to choose from. Go ahead and take a look at the list below to see which one will suit you best.
15. Adventure World Globotrekker Lightweight Backpack Poncho
- Made from ultra-waterproof 210T Terylene fabric
- Lightweight weighs 12.32 ounces
- Compact 6.3 inches by 4 inches when in a bag
- Backpack and body protection
Adventure World Globotrekker Lightweight Backpack Poncho is one of the best ponchos to bring during a hike. This waterproof poncho does not take much space in your hiking pack and does not add unnecessary weight.
As one of the top choices of waterproof ponchos, this lightweight rain poncho covers both the body and has a dedicated compartment for your backpack.
When not in use, the bag compartment of this backpacking poncho can be easily buttoned up.
You can even hook the carry bag of this rain poncho to your backpack and save space inside your hiking backpack.
14. USGI Industries Military Style Poncho
- Made from 210T high-density Rip-Stop Polyester which has high water-resistance
- Backpack compatible
- With high-visibility color options
- High adjustability with waist drawstring
- Can be used as a survival shelter with its metal grommets
- Portions of sale are donated to disabled veterans and responder organizations
USGI Industries Military Style Poncho is one of the most versatile backpacking ponchos that can be converted from a poncho for rain protection to an emergency shelter during heavy rain.
As one of the best rain ponchos, this rain gear can keep you and your outfit dry even with extreme wet weather conditions.
Weighing at only 18 ounces, this rain poncho also comes with a carry bag. The drawstring hood can also be adjusted to fit your head and prevent water from coming in.
There are several colors available to choose from and you also get to help the in-need disabled veterans as part of the sale goes to them and to the helpful first responders.
13. Lingito Heavy Duty Rain Poncho for Backpacking
- 100% waterproof PVC material
- Durable and tear-resistant
- Can be used as a camping blanket or be propped up as shade
- Lightweight at 11 ounces only
- With Zipper pocket
Lingito Heavy Duty Rain Poncho is one of the excellent lightweight rain ponchos made from premium quality material to protect you from harsh weather conditions.
This best backpacking poncho with waterproof fabric will help you stay dry and is durable enough to be used for several years.
The waterproof zippers are sturdy and do not get stuck easily unlike other rain ponchos. You can even use it as a camping blanket or a sleeping bag to keep you warm.
The polyester fabric dries quickly and is nature-friendly. This rain poncho as your weather protection comes in universal sizing that can fit anyone.
This rain poncho also comes with a stuff sack and has different color options.
12. ANTVEE Rain Ponchos for Women and Men
- Large size that can cover a backpack
- Made from soft, environment-friendly EVA material
- Lightweight at 6 ounces
- Tear-resistant and quick drying
- Can be used for a long time
ANTVEE Rain Ponchos offers a unisex rain poncho that is easy to carry with it being foldable into a smaller size compared to most rain ponchos. This hiking poncho is one of the best backpacking ponchos that can cover the backpack underneath.
Aside from being one of the best backpacking rain ponchos, this rain poncho is very comfortable to wear without the hassle that you get from a bulky rain jacket or rain pants.
This rain poncho also comes with an adjustable hood with a drawstring to help adjust based on your head size and set to a comfortable size.
ANTVEE Rain Ponchos has a one size fits all poncho for men and women and has versatile uses aside from hiking and backpacking which include fishing, attending concerts, and cycling.
11. Hagon PRO Disposable Rain Ponchos for Adults
- Better airflow that prevents the sauna effect
- Can cover backpack
- 50% thicker compared to a normal disposable rain poncho
- Easy to carry
Hagon PRO Disposable Rain Ponchos for Adult is another one of the best rain ponchos to choose from if you prefer to use a disposable but quality waterproof poncho.
This rain poncho is made from thick PE plastic that can fit in your pocket and is handy to bring anywhere if you’re concerned about getting drenched in the rain.
This rain poncho best for wet weather is also environment-friendly so you don’t have to worry about contributing to plastic waste.
As one of the best waterproof rain ponchos, Hagon PRO Disposable Rain Ponchos can fit almost anyone with its one-size fits all design.
From hiking and fishing to biking, you can bring this rain poncho to any type of outdoor activity for rain protection.
10. Juvale 20-Pack Disposable Rain Ponchos
- With attached hood
- Ultra-light and compact
- Can be easily carried anywhere
Juvale 20 -Pack Disposable Rain Ponchos is also the best backpacking poncho that you can carry anywhere hassle-free.
This disposable rain poncho is made from durable PE material that can protect you from the rain.
Juvale 20-Pack Disposable Rain Ponchos is also one of the best budget reusable rain ponchos on the list as it comes in a pack of 20 so you don’t have to worry about running out of ponchos.
Stay away from expensive rain ponchos with this cheap rain poncho that is also environment-friendly as it is made from recyclable materials.
The attached hood will keep you dry and protected from the rain.
Most ponchos will hide your stylish clothes but this clear poncho will prevent you from getting wet and still allow you to show off your fashion sense.
9. SaphiRose Rain Poncho Jacket Coat Hooded for Adults with Pockets
- Waterproof breathable fabric
- Eco-friendly and quick drying
- Adjustable hood
- With color-matched stuff-sack
- One of the most lightweight rain ponchos with 1.6 ounces weight
The SaphiRose Rain Poncho is also one of the top choices for the best rain ponchos made from Polyester fabric and not plastic. You won’t have to worry about packing a wet poncho as the material of this durable rain poncho dries quickly.
With its waterproof weather protection during windy conditions and heavy rain, you can hike without worrying about the essentials inside your hiking bag.
As one of the best backpacking rain ponchos, this rain poncho delivers outstanding rain protection with its heat-sealed seams.
This best waterproof poncho also belongs to rain ponchos made from waterproof breathable fabrics that dry easily.
Aside from hiking, you can use this rain poncho for other activities like cycling and running. There even is a color-matched storage bag.
8. Sea to Summit Ultra-SIL Nano Tarp Poncho 4-in-1 Raincoat, Pack Cover
- Made from waterproof 15D Ultra-Sil Nano fabric
- Double stitched and tape-sealed seams
- Three-panel peaked hood
- Can cover a huge backpack
- One of the lightweight rain ponchos with 8.1 ounces
- Can be made into an emergency shelter
Sea to Summit Ultra-SIL Nano Tarp Poncho is one of the best backpacking ponchos in terms of quality and durability.
This best rain poncho for backpacking is made from 15D Ultra-Sil Nano fabric which makes it lightweight yet extremely waterproof and tear-resistant.
The three-panel peaked hood of this Sea to Summit tarp poncho will keep you dry even during the heaviest downpour while the double-stitched and tape-sealed seams make this one of the best waterproof rain ponchos.
You can also use this rain poncho as an emergency shelter or a ground cover as it is large enough to cover a large backpack.
7. Arcturus Lightweight Ripstop Nylon Rain Poncho with Adjustable Hood
- Lightweight at 11 ounces
- Compact with stuff sack included
- With 2 layers of waterproof polyurethane
- Can be used as a tarp or a shelter
Arcturus Lightweight Ripstop Nylon Rain Poncho with Adjustable Hood is another one of the excellent rain ponchos against heavy rain while you are on the trail.
This rain gear is also your best backpacking poncho choice if you want the ultimate waterproof protection with its heavy-duty rain jacket 210T Ripstop Nylon material.
This fully-waterproof rain poncho can also be converted into a makeshift tent in case of emergency camping with steel grommets that can be used to tie it down.
This rain poncho comes with a compact carry bag and can fit an average to tall individual. there are different color choices too if you’d like to have your poncho have a matching color with your backpack.
6. Foxelli Hooded Rain Poncho
- Made from premium quality 210T high density PU3000MM coated polyester
- Built-in cord adjuster for the hood
- Can cover up to a 50L backpack
- Can also be used as a camping blanket or sleeping bag cover
- Lightweight at 11 ounces
Foxelli Hooded Rain Poncho is a good alternative for the currently unavailable Terra Hiker Rain Poncho and is one of the best rain ponchos in terms of quality.
This heavy-duty rain poncho is made from 210T high-density PU3000MM coated polyester that will keep you dry and comfortable even during the heaviest downpour.
It also has a built-in cord adjuster for the hood so you can have a perfect fit while the SBS zippers will keep the rain out.
This rain poncho for backpacking also has large side pockets where you can store your phone and other valuables.
You can also use this as a camping blanket or a sleeping bag cover as it is big enough to cover most single-person tents.
5. Prepared4X Emergency Blankets & Rain Poncho Hybrid Survival Gear and Equipment
- NASA-engineered, tear-resistant
- Retains 90% of the body heat to keep you warm
- Made from incredibly tough mylar
- Roomy and comfortable size
- Comes in a pack of 4 ponchos
Prepared4X Emergency Blanket and Rain Poncho hybrid rain gear is one of the best lightweight ponchos with its hybrid design that can function as a rain poncho and an emergency thermal blanket.
This fully waterproof backpacking rain poncho protects you from rainy and windy conditions and can also be transformed into a blanket. This insulated rain poncho will give you comfortable heat while staying in a freezing environment.
As one of the best rain ponchos for backpacking, this completely waterproof rain cape and emergency poncho are made from high-quality material that is eco-friendly and recyclable.
This lightweight poncho even comes in a pack of 4 so you can share it with your hiking buddy in times of need.
4. FROGG TOGGS Ultra-Lite2 Waterproof Breathable Poncho
- Made from waterproof, breathable, and non-woven fabric
- Adjustable hood with cord locks
- With storage bag
- Ultralight rain poncho at 9 ounces
FROGG TOGGS Ultra-Lite2 Poncho is another best poncho for backpacking it is made from lightweight material for a hassle-free hike. This best rain poncho for hiking steps up as a waterproof garment with a fantastic waterproof rating.
As one of the best rain ponchos for backpacking, FROGG TOGGS Poncho can cover a large backpack with a one-size fits all design.
This hiking rain poncho is also a reusable poncho with its recyclable material. FROGG TOGGS Poncho is a high-quality poncho that can be easily carried around with its compact size inside its storage bag.
If you’re looking for a brilliant, breathable rain poncho, then FROGG TOGGS Ultra-Lite2 Poncho is one of the top options among the best rain ponchos.
3. Snugpak Patrol Poncho
- Completely waterproof with a water-repellent outer coating
- Travel friendly with its compact size
- Velcro map pocket and tape sealed seams
- With storm flap at the chest
Snugpak Patrol Poncho is the most waterproof poncho that you can find on the market among poncho brands.
This best rain poncho for backpacking is made from 100% waterproof polyester with a water-repellent outer coating. It also has a taped seam construction that ensures no water will seep through the seams.
This breathable rain poncho has an integrated hood with drawcords so you can have a perfect fit while the front storm flap will keep you dry and comfortable.
The Snugpak Patrol Jacket Poncho also has a large velcro map pocket where you can store your valuables during your hike.
This best rain poncho for hiking is also one of the most travel-friendly rain ponchos as it can be packed into its own stuff sack.
The backpacker poncho is a great choice among backpacking rain ponchos if you want a durable, completely waterproof, and breathable rain poncho.
2. Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho Lightweight Reusable Poncho
- Completely waterproof, made from 210T ripstop polyester + PVC coating
- Comfortable to wear with loose arm holes
- Adjustable hood
- Lightweight at 11 ounces in a carry bag
- Can be used as a sleeping bag cover
Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho is one of the best reusable ponchos and is considered the best rain poncho for travel because of its lightweight design.
The size of this poncho is large enough to cover your backpack and loose fitting to ensure that your movements are not restricted.
As one of the impressive hiking ponchos, Anyoo Waterproof rain poncho is also extremely resistant to abrasion and tearing which makes it last longer than your regular poncho rain jacket.
You can also carry this ultralight backpacking poncho without taking up much space from your hiking bag.
The full coverage hat brim will ensure that you don’t get wet despite the heavy rain and prevent rainwater from seeping in.
This poncho can even be converted to a sleeping bag for a more comfortable stay at a campsite with cold temperatures.
1. Therm-a-Rest Honcho Poncho Wearable Hoodie Blanket
- Synthetic-insulated hooded poncho
- Compressible eraLoft insulation
- water-resistant and breathable shell
- Great barrier against wind and rain
- Can be packed into its storage pocket
Therm-a-rest Honcho Poncho Wearable Hoodie Blanket is a top choice among the best rain ponchos. This rain gear is not only completely waterproof but also insulated to keep you warm in the cold.
The compressible eraLoft insulation makes this one of the most packable ponchos for backpacking as it can be easily stuffed into its pocket.
The Therm-a-rest Honcho Poncho is made from a water-resistant and breathable shell that will keep you dry while being able to regulate your body temperature.
This best backpacking poncho is also great at blocking the wind which makes it perfect for hikes in colder climates.
The large kangaroo pocket in the front of this poncho can be used to store your valuables or to keep your hands warm.
The hood is also adjustable so you can have a perfect fit while the elastic cuffs will seal out the elements.
These are the three best rain ponchos for backpacking that will keep you dry and comfortable during your hike. Choose the best rain poncho for your needs to enjoy your time outdoors without worrying about the weather.